Sunday, September 4, 2011

Marriage Vows - An Example of Commitment For Writers

My wife and I attended a wedding yesterday. We saw two of our dear friends vow to spend the rest of their lives together.

Source: Microsoft Office Images
Only last week, my wife and I celebrated our 12th anniversary. Hurricane Irene tried to ruin it, but we still went out on a date - in the rain. But that's water under the bridge... Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Back to the wedding. It was a wonderful service. I love hearing the vows. Call me conventional, but I love the old traditional vows - especially the parts that mention "in sickness and in health... till death do us part." It got me thinking.

Vows are earnest promises, solemn promises. Pledges. Declarations that we are going to do something. "Till death do us part." Making a vow is by definition a binding act. So, how's this relate to your writing? Well, have you made a public declaration that you are going to be a writer?

Have you vowed to work tirelessly at your craft? In sickness and in health? If writing is a career goal for you, then you must commit. I have been reading a lot lately about the difference between writers and wannabe writers. Commitment is a factor.

I know as a married guy, I'm a husband 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks out of a year, so on and so on. I made a vow 12 years ago. If I am serious about that vow, then I can't take a day off saying, "I don't feel like being married today. I'm taking a break."

My beliefs and convictions won't let me. Granted, there are days when being a husband is hard. But hard times don't nullify the vow I made to my wife. Same goes for writing if you are really serious about it. Think about your commitment to your craft. Do you write every day? Or only when you feel like it?

Like marriage, it's the little things that count. Are you improving your grammar? Keeping up with trends? What about the business side of writing? Are you reading works in your field? Little things. Important things.

Make a vow today. Get serious about your writing. Need help? Reach out to other writers. It's so much easier nowadays with social media. Feel free to message me. If I don't have the answer, I'll find someone who does.

Want to be part of a writing community? Check out My Writers Circle. Writer's Digest listed it as one of the 101 Best Websites For Writers. It's a friendly community. You'll find me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...