Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mall Demons Serial Well Underway & The Family's Cheering Me On!

Tell me if this has happened to you.


I was driving in Washington DC last night - the whole family in the minivan. It's just pouring rain. You know when you're near all those government buildings, the trees lining the streets. It feels like you're in a concrete valley. Well, anyway, lightning was flashing above the buildings. And the thought spilled out...


"Lightning...Or are those flashes from angels appearing on the rooftops?"


"It's Evangeline!" My wife said.


OK... don't know what I'm talking about? Well, this is an example of my fictional world spilling over into the real world. Evangeline is a warrior angel in My Mall Demons Urban Fantasy Serial which follows the spiritual battle between angels and demons at a modern-day shopping mall. Humans, of course, are caught in the middle. There's one - a chosen one - who can help save humanity from this latest demonic assault.


As writers, isn't this what we hope for? Our story taking on a life of its own. When you look out on the world, you see the two realms - fictional and real - converge. And even better, your family and/or readers share the experience.


Besides my wife recognizing my creation, my fourth grader has started writing her own fan fiction based on my characters. As I mentioned in an earlier post, she REALLY, REALLY wants me to add one of her scenes to my next chapter.


It's a great feeling to have all the moral support. Writers, we know how lonely the writing life can be. How unappreciated we can feel. So, I'm loving the zeal my wife and kids are showing for my characters and story. Support and encouragement is coming from the office, too. One of my colleagues stumbled upon the Mall Demons Serial online. She read through all three chapters (at the time) in one sitting and asked where the fourth chapter was and why I wasn't done yet. That fourth chapter is online now by the way. Chapter five and six are nearly there.


I have the first of my big battles in these next two chapters, so.... I'm paying close attention to how the scenes  flow.


If you haven't read the serial, check it out and let me know what you think.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Are you working on a project and getting that much-loved support from family and friends? Writers always like hearing that stuff. Share your experience in the Comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...