Tuesday, August 23, 2011

No More Harry Potter? My Kids Say 'Not So Fast!'

The world is such a different place now that we won't be dying to see the next installment of Harry Potter. My teen-aged daughter spent much of her life reading the series. I remember standing in lines in the middle of the night waiting with her to buy the next book. By the time I was home from work the next day, she was usually almost done with it.

So...now what? I just read a Wall Street Journal article, "Conjouring The Next Harry Potter." WSJ Online video version here. Google "next Harry Potter," there's plenty of speculation. Inquiring minds want to know!

My daughter, by the way, hasn't heard of that book in the Journal article. Just an FYI. It was my daughter who coaxed me into reading the Potter series to begin with. It took me several years before I did. I'm now glad I did. Call the Potter books what you want. One thing's for certain. They were entertaining... and profitable, or else publishers wouldn't be stressing to find the next Harry Potter.

My daughter reads so many books, I can't even keep count. She often passes the good ones on to me. I'm trusting her to tell me what's worth reading. Sorry publishers. Sorry WSJ and everyone else. I'm not into speculation.

Which brings me to the question at hand: No more Harry Potter? My teen-aged daughter and my other kids say, "Not so fast!" They are reading other books faster than I can count, but none (so far) have even come close to taking the place of Potter in their hearts. Even as they read other books, they are re-reading Potter.

Congrats Rowling. Brand loyalty.

By the way, my kids are sharing their favorite Potter quotes. Here's the first:

"I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to bed."
Can you identify it?

4 comments:

  1. Hermione--Book 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it Hermione?:)
    I finally gave in a few years ago and read ALL of the books, one after another. It was lots of fun and I'm glad I did...as you said, very entertaining...and if it gets kids to love reading, it's a winner in my book. :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Hermione is right. I did the same when I finally read them. But, it was just a few months ago. My kids finally twisted my arm. But they were entertaining to read. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...