|VH1's tribute to the 80s is a fave!|
I was in high school in the late 80s. Good times. All over my house I have reminders of those glory days: my books. I have loved books all my life. Some special ones scattered at random on my shelves have memories attached to them. On the bottom shelf I noticed my copy of The Elements of Style, 3rd Edition (1979).
|Microsoft Office Images|
- Choose a suitable design and hold to it.
- Make the paragraph the unit of composition.
- Use the active voice.
- Put statements in positive form.
- Use definite, specific, concrete language.
- Omit needless words.
- Avoid a succession of loose sentences.
- Express coordinate ideas in similar form.
- Keep related words together.
- In summaries, keep to one tense.
- Place the emphatic words of a sentence at the end.
So, I think I will log onto Pandora again, select 80s and revisit the writing hit list above. If you've never read it, or like me simply haven't read it in awhile, dig it up and spend some time honing your craft.
Elements of Style on Bartleby.com