Monday, February 21, 2011

Do you repeat yourself? Two links to frequency counters

Of course you repeat yourself. We all do. Some repetition is good to drive home your point in a story or essay, but too much is just too much.

So... I was checking through my Twitter Follows and found a useful site with word and phrase frequency counters. The Phrase Frequency Counter allows you to choose the number of words in a phrase to check (from 2-10). The Word Frequency Counter checks every word in your text. Both frequency counters allow you to cut and paste or type the writing sample you want analyzed.  


These are cool:
Phrase Frequency Counter
Word Frequency Counter

For example, when I cut and paste the text above (including the blog title) into the Phrase Frequency Counter, I found out that I used the phrase "frequency counter" four times, "phrase frequency" and "frequency counters" three times each. Plugging in the same sample into the Word Frequency Counter, I found that I used the word "frequency" seven times, and "you" and "to" five times each.

Good to know - especially when writing for the Web.

5 comments:

  1. Good writing tools. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. In fact, I will be sharing them w/ my students tomorrow, too.
    -Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do repeated things sometimes, If forgot what i said, and I repeat again that was wrong .I have co-latter with one girl, she is in the prison i write for twice a month she do the same but i will carefully not repeated the same story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a lyricist, I have made such a thing into a personal goal, in order to improve my songwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a lyricist, some repetition and rhyming is, indeed, essential. Some of us, however, repeat ourselves and don't mean to. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...