Monday, February 20, 2012

Sometimes You Just Gotta Dance

This weekend I felt like I was 20 years old again. My wife and I went out for a night of dinner and dancing. We got a babysitter so that we could go out. Yes!

It was amazing. I realized over the last decade or so that I have been holding back. Do you know what I'm talking about? Before we had children, my wife and I used to know how to have fun. We were party animals. Then.... we were domesticated, so to speak. On Saturday, I didn't think of myself as a father. I thought of myself only as a man on a date with the most beautiful woman in the world.

She is by the way.

And the most amazing thing happened. We forgot about being a dad or a mom. We forgot about all that responsibility. We just had fun. We let loose. And it was awesome!!!! As a writer, this was a wonderful experience. 

The more you experience, the more you can write about with authority. This weekend I experienced firsthand how a character can change. This is important if you want your protagonist to evolve through the story. 


So... my advice is to live! Pay attention. And if you're in a rut in life, be brave enough to make a change. It will help your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...