Monday, February 20, 2012

Sometimes You Just Gotta Dance

This weekend I felt like I was 20 years old again. My wife and I went out for a night of dinner and dancing. We got a babysitter so that we could go out. Yes!

It was amazing. I realized over the last decade or so that I have been holding back. Do you know what I'm talking about? Before we had children, my wife and I used to know how to have fun. We were party animals. Then.... we were domesticated, so to speak. On Saturday, I didn't think of myself as a father. I thought of myself only as a man on a date with the most beautiful woman in the world.

She is by the way.

And the most amazing thing happened. We forgot about being a dad or a mom. We forgot about all that responsibility. We just had fun. We let loose. And it was awesome!!!! As a writer, this was a wonderful experience. 

The more you experience, the more you can write about with authority. This weekend I experienced firsthand how a character can change. This is important if you want your protagonist to evolve through the story. 


So... my advice is to live! Pay attention. And if you're in a rut in life, be brave enough to make a change. It will help your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...