Sunday, May 10, 2015

Romance Writers Use Music Prompts

I'm so not a Romance writer. It's one genre, I recently told a dear friend of mine, that I just don't read. Not trying to knock it, but it's just not my thing.

However, I get it. Many write and love the Romance genre. As I'm sitting at my computer listening to iTunes as I blog, I heard two songs that even inspired me, a non-Romance guy, to think of possible stories revolving around that age old passion that draws men and women: love.

Now love must be complicated. It must be hard. Obstacles are required to make a good story. Lovers just can't meet and then they live happily ever after. They must face obstacles. They must fight for the love they desire - often against seemingly insurmountable odds. That makes a great story.

To spur any would-be Romance writers, I offer two songs as prompts. Listen to them. Use them as prompts to write a story about lovers fighting against the world. Those are the stories that readers want. Two against the world. Another dear friend I spoke to today used the phrase, "Ride or die."

Rather appropriate. It creates conflict. Drama. Passion. Do you feel it? Yes? Then write it. Here are two songs I believe can inspire you to write a tale of Romance:

"Don't Worry Baby," by The Beach Boys.

"A Thousand Years," by Christina Perri.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...