Sunday, May 10, 2015

Romance Writers Use Music Prompts

I'm so not a Romance writer. It's one genre, I recently told a dear friend of mine, that I just don't read. Not trying to knock it, but it's just not my thing.

However, I get it. Many write and love the Romance genre. As I'm sitting at my computer listening to iTunes as I blog, I heard two songs that even inspired me, a non-Romance guy, to think of possible stories revolving around that age old passion that draws men and women: love.

Now love must be complicated. It must be hard. Obstacles are required to make a good story. Lovers just can't meet and then they live happily ever after. They must face obstacles. They must fight for the love they desire - often against seemingly insurmountable odds. That makes a great story.

To spur any would-be Romance writers, I offer two songs as prompts. Listen to them. Use them as prompts to write a story about lovers fighting against the world. Those are the stories that readers want. Two against the world. Another dear friend I spoke to today used the phrase, "Ride or die."

Rather appropriate. It creates conflict. Drama. Passion. Do you feel it? Yes? Then write it. Here are two songs I believe can inspire you to write a tale of Romance:

"Don't Worry Baby," by The Beach Boys.

"A Thousand Years," by Christina Perri.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...