Friday, October 14, 2011

Writing Exercise: Use Clichés

So, I'm preparing myself for NaNoWriMo - that's National Novel Writing Month for the uninitiated. 


This means I'm wicked into outlining chapters and sections, fleshing out characters, etc. It also means I'm brainstorming nice tricks to help me when the writing gets tough around Week Three. One solution I'm exploring now: use every cliché I can think of or find. Armed with a long list of clichés, I'll be able to add length to my NaNoWriMo project.


I'm not the first person to suggest using  clichés - even with all the conventional wisdom that says avoid  clichés like the plague (LOL). But imagine how many literary and film characters exist who are walking clichés. How about whole story lines, movies built on clichés. Just look at all the macho cop movies out there.

Writing Exercise: Use Clichés To Write A Short Story, Poem
Go all out. "Do it with gusto!" Or as we say in Spanglish, "Do it with ganas!" Make it ridiculously Cliché. Why not? It's OK. You're a writer. You're allowed.


To find out more about NaNoWriMo and sign up for the November challenge, check out my blog post with links to help you get started.


If you have time, please read my latest fiction project, the Mall Demons Urban Fantasy Serial. Chapters 1-5 are online. Let me know what you think, and tell me if you spot the clichés, LOL. The links to the chapters are at the top of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...