Wednesday, February 14, 2018

An Observation on Valentine's Day: A Lonely Balloon

Driving on the highway towards Dallas this morning I noticed something in the gray sky above: a lonely heart-shaped balloon floating away.

Its trajectory appeared aimless through the gloomy void. I squinted. I focused. But, I could not discern its color. Not red. Not black. Not white. As it wandered higher, farther away, I wondered.
It blended with the dull grayness. Was that its sole intention now?

What had set this love token on its journey to oblivion? And what of the hand that once held it? Stripped apart by what?

How fleeting was the sentiment that it was destined to fade so early on this Valentine’s morning. Like all earthly things, its fate preordained to perish into nothingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...