Thursday, June 11, 2020

Stop Dreaming Of Being A Writer

Note: I published this originally in 2017 and now am updating it.

So... You work full-time. You are a janitor. You are a teacher. You are a cashier at a grocery store. Or... you're unemployed because of this whole coronavirus mess. As I write this, the Dow Jones Industrial Average sank more than 1,800 points and the S&P dropped 5.9 percent because it looks like a second wave is at hand.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. But... when it comes to your dreams of being a writer...

IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!!

If you know in your gut that you are a writer, or have always wanted and hoped to be... You hear the voices in your head. You dream magically amazing stories in your sleep. You wake up and are like, "Damn! I need to write that down!"

Then... just write. Write. Write. Write.

But... you have Debbie Downers in your camp. You share your ideas with those around you. They say, "That's stupid." Here's a secret: It may or may not be stupid, but those doubters around you saying you can't do this are saying it because deep down inside they are jealous of your aspirations. 

What should you do? Ignore them. Listen to me. Writing isn't easy. But if it is what you want to do. If there's a desire burning inside of you, then... write.

Write it down. Write everything you think is important. Write everything you think in the moment. Write. Write. Write!!!!!

I say again: Don't listen to the haters.

Here is the reality. Most people live life unsuccessfully. They believe that they are not one of the lucky ones who get to be a writer, a movie star.... in short... a success.

They settle. Here's what they tell themselves at night before going to bed and contemplate waking up to do everything all over again the same way day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year:

"I need a job. So... this company will give me a job at XX amount of dollars an hour. I need to pay the bills. This is as good as it gets. Let me make sure the alarm is set so I'm not late for work."

Do you want to settle? No, you don't.

Fall into that settling trap and you will never be a writer. You will only be a wage earner. Life is too short to settle.

Don't get me wrong... You must pay the bills... But you don't have to give up your dreams to do it.... 

You may have to find whatever work there is to be had in this new reality. But use that experience for your writing. If you must work at a warehouse, for example, use that time wisely. Do they let you listen to music as you work?

Bag that. Listen to books on Audible or from your library. Learn about the writing craft. Listen to classics of literature and learn from the masters. Carry a pocket notebook and pen. Jot down all your observations that make sense to you. Squeeze every second out of your day to advance your dreams of being a writer.

Bottom Line: ignore everyone who says you can't do it. Even family has questioned my decisions. Maybe yours has too. But... be brave. Follow your dream.

If you need inspiration and hope, then keep reading this blog. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...