Friday, October 21, 2011

Take a Break From Writing... NaNoWriMo is coming!

Source: Microsoft Office Images


In 10 days, I will begin eating, drinking novel writing. For 30 days, it will be an existence transformed for the sake of completing a manuscript for National Novel Writing Month.


So, I'm thinking this weekend is time to have a whole lot of fun that doesn't involve much writing. If you are preparing for NaNoWriMo, maybe you should consider doing the same. Why not. This is time to make paper airplanes with your son. It's time to take your wife out for a romantic stroll in the park. Maybe something more adventurous?


When I was a boy, I used to love camping. We didn't have much cash growing up, so camping was a rare treat and an inexpensive family gathering, by the way. When I say camping, I mean old-school camping with a  small uncomfortable tent, a sleeping bag, etc. 


I remember running around the woods with the other children gathering wood for the fire. It was usually the first task after unloading all our supplies. No fire. No dinner. It was a great time sitting in the dirt around the fire.
Source: Microsoft Office Images


Some details escape me all these years later. I don't remember how we washed up - maybe we didn't. We definitely did not have showers. But, hey, we were kids. We didn't care if we were stinky in the woods. Modern camping grounds have amenities that take all the adventure out of roughing it.


Anyway... you get the idea. Do something. This is that weekend to let loose because November 1 is coming. Then it'll be writing, writing, writing every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Floundering With My 2023 Goals, But There's Still Time To Get Back On Track

 It's hard to believe that we are almost done with January 2023. Wasn't it just New Year's Day? Well if you're like me, you ...